Thursday, June 21, 2007

Knitting for Babies

Tonight I started knitting the first of three baby sweaters for which I just bought yarn. I'm using this yummy machine washable cashmere-blend stuff that I love. It's super-soft, never itchy, and did I mention machine washable? And, hello, cashmere!! Basically the perfect yarn. It's not even super expensive. Actually, cheaper than the organic cotton stuff called for in the patterns. Anyway, all three sweaters I'm knitting are from a book I recently bought, Natural Knits for Babies and Moms. Great book, adorable patterns (not to mention, adorable babies!!). Maybe it seems a little weird that I'm knitting baby sweaters...I'm not pregnant, I swear!! But sometimes I need a little break from knitting socks, and scarves and hats are boring. And anything else takes so much yarn and so much time.

Anyway, this first sweater is an adorable kimono-style which I'm knitting up with a lovely pumpkin-colored yarn. It's not quite as dark as I wish it would've been, but it looks nice anyway. Today I finished the back and both front pieces. All I've got left are the sleeves, seams, and edging (plus sewing on the little charcoal-gray buttons I got). I feel pretty confident that I'll finish it tomorrow, and then of course I'll post pictures.

The other two sweaters I'm knitting are a pale aqua- & dark teal-striped crewneck, and a gray cabled turtleneck. Lovely!!