Saturday, July 07, 2007

How Come I'm Killing Myself?? (Oh Rhett Miller...)

Well, I didn't get the job in Hutchinson. I checked the website a few days ago, and the job posting had been removed, so I'm assuming they hired someone else. Last night I applied for another job at the same facility, though. "Facility Engineering ASP"...something about being an assistant to the facility engineering director. Sorting the mail is listed as one of the duties of the position. There's a lot of other stuff I'd be doing too, though...payroll, preparing reports, reconciliations, planning/implementing projects, etc. I found another job I'm thinking of applying for, a position as an office manager somewhere on this side of town. I found it in the newspaper, in the classifieds section. I don't know, though...I'd be applying through some kind of personnel company, and I don't know how I feel about sending my contact info to someone I found in the paper. And I don't know what company I'd be working for. And it's "up to $14/hr"...which would be nice, but it isn't much more than I'll be making at the post office, and the hours would probably be such that I couldn't keep my job at Dillons also. Plus, I'm really looking for something full-time with benefits, and this didn't mention anything about benefits.

Ugh. Other than that stuff, my life has been...boring. Work, work, work. My third schedule for this week gave me today off, which is nice because otherwise I would be in the middle of another 7-day stretch with no time off. And yesterday I found out just how not worth it that is. I got my paycheck from last week's 40 hours. And yes, I worked a 12-hour day and got no overtime. So what was my 40-hour week worth to Dillons? What did my blood, sweat, and tears get me? (Okay, so I don't know about the blood, but I definitely lost some sweat and tears last week.) After taxes, a whopping $246.78! It's the biggest check I've ever gotten, but it's still pathetically small. And I know it'll just continue to seem smaller and smaller once I start working at the post office. I'll be glad when next week is over...after that, my schedule should go back to the normal 20-or-so hours per week. And I'll get to stay home.

Sorry guys. Other than work, I have nothing to write about. I'm too tired from work to do anything interesting, and anyway I don't so much have friends here at home.