Monday, July 24, 2006

Some Thoughts on Being Cheerful

Tonight at work I met my match: a man so enthusiastic about homemade cherry limeades, we thought he must be off his meds. At first I thought he was crazy, but then I realized he was just like me...outrageously friendly & cheerful. He even said, "That'd be awesome!" when I asked him if plastic was alright.

My coworkers were laughing at him & calling him nuts. It kind of made me wonder if people react that way to me sometimes. People are always asking me why I'm "so cheerful" or telling me I'm "too nice." But what's "too nice"? Should I start being mean or grumpy? Okay, so lately I've been kinda down in the dumps, and ya know what? It's not fun. I don't even like being around myself when I'm sad. Tonight I felt like my old self again...smiling at everyone, bubbly as can be. It was a good feeling.

I know my cheerfulness rubs people the wrong way sometimes, but I don't like being the Sad Girl. And I won't be the Sarcastic/Cynical Girl. So cheerful is what they get, and I don't think it's so bad.