Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

Fall Break is coming to an end. It's been relaxing, if nothing else. I've watched a lot of movies, most of them about witches (Hocus Pocus, Bell, Book and Candle, Rosemary's Baby, and Bewitched). I love witches!

Tonight I was talking to my dad on the phone, and we were talking about the store. Somehow, we got on the subject of shrink (the difference between what the store buys and what the store sells...i.e. stuff that gets stolen or damaged). As employees, it's drilled into our heads that our job is to prevent/reduce shrink. Well, my dad's department (produce) has really low shrink numbers...often the lowest in the store. He does this by ordering the right amounts of products and by selling damaged produce at reduced prices. This last part is especially important at our store, which is located in an economically-depressed neighborhood. Many of our customers are on food stamps, and they do what they can with the benefits they receive. I don't know how many of you buy groceries, but next time you're in a supermarket, check out the prices of fresh produce...it's expensive!! Because of this, poorer people usually don't buy much fresh produce, which means that they miss out on a lot of important nutrients.

Well, The Powers That Be have decided that my father's shrink numbers are too low. They think this means that he's missing out on potential sales by not ordering enough product. They're implementing a new policy, so instead of selling damaged products at reduced prices, he's supposed to just throw it away. Yes, throw it away! I can't express how angry this makes me. TPTB believe that this will force customers to buy the products at full price. What they don't seem to understand is that people living on a fixed income often can't afford to pay those higher prices for fresh produce. They're either going to buy less of it, or possibly stop buying it altogether. Either way, these people are going to be missing out on an important source of nutrition.

The only thing that might anger me more than this is the fact that, under the new policy, my dad is required to literally throw away the damaged produce. What a waste! You know that phrase, "There are starving kids in China!"? Well, what about the starving people in Kansas? This food could be given to soup kitchens or homeless shelters or battered women's shelters or SOMEWHERE. It's not like this food is rotten or anything...it's just bruised or needs to be used within a day or two. There are people who really need this stuff, and for the company to just throw it away...it makes me angry. Really, really angry.

I'm planning to bring this to the attention of some advocacy groups or something. I'm not sure exactly where to start, but I think I'm going to email Joe Stumpe, the food editor at the Wichita Eagle. I know you're probably thinking that emailing a food editor is the weirdest way to start, but Stumpe recently participated in a challange during which he lived on the amount someone would receive from the food stamp program for a week. I think he can probably help me get in contact with people from different advocacy groups. I'd really like to see some pressure put on the company to rethink this new policy (which is apparently the policy at Wal-Mart as well, and probably several other places).