Sunday, October 08, 2006

My Life as a Magpie

I know that the magpie is a symbol of bad luck. One legend even suggests that they carry a drop of the devil's blood under their tongues (to which I say...birds have tongues?). But there's one more thing for which magpies are famous, and that's their attraction to shiny things. Coins. Jewelry. Gum wrappers. Believe me, I love dead presidents and things that smell like Doublemint as much as the next girl...but lately, I've fallen especially in love with jewelry. Fine jewelry. The good stuff. It started when I bought my pearl ring last December. Followed by the acquisition of my mother's sapphire ring. The latest has been the beautiful mystic fire topaz necklace I got for my birthday. Now I'm keeping my eye out for my next piece, and I've got several in mind. My absolute favorite has to be this opal ring from Helzberg. I found it last winter, when I bought my pearl ring, but it was (and still is) way too expensive. I would ask for it for Christmas, but I think it's still too expensive, even for that.

The other pieces I'm currently in love with:
Octagonal Cut Aquamarine & Diamond Ring
Ecstasy Topaz & Diamond Pendant
Rose de France & Diamond Pendant