Sunday, April 08, 2007

Book Worm

Last night I bought books. This morning I ordered more online. I don't know why, but lately I've been amassing more books than I can possibly read. I think it's a sign that I'm turning into my mother. Also, if I'm going to do the 50 Book Challenge, I should probably have 50 books. Or something like that.

I finished reading Thunderstruck last night. Definitely not as good as The Devil in the White City, but it was good. The last several chapters went by much faster than the rest of the book. I've started reading Eat, Pray, Love, a memoir/travelogue about "one woman's search for everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia." It's really good so far...her writing style reminds me a lot of my own, so of course I'm enjoying it. At Hastings last night, I also bought The Blackest Bird ("a novel of murder in nineteenth-century New York"), The Gentle Axe ("a spellbinding historical crime novel" set in 19th-century Russia), and Down and Out in Paris and London (Orwell's novel about poverty & society), plus a book of sudoku, a bookmark, and World Stompers (an international travel guide, a present for Ariane). Today on Amazon, I ordered my own copy of World Stompers, Tokyo Cancelled (a book of interconnected short stories that I've been wanting to read for a couple of years but could never find in bookstores), Living Poor (a 40-something farmer's account of serving in the Peace Corps), So You Want to Join the Peace Corps: What to Know Before You Go (a Q&A-type book about the Peace Corps), and Fresh Food Fast (a vegetarian cookbook that I was looking at last night at Hastings but was significantly cheaper on Amazon).

Wow, so that was a whole lot of links... Anyway, I've been kind of lazy this weekend. Yesterday I got a good bit of our Power Point presentation done for Corporate Strategy (the presentation is tomorrow), but I'm not planning to do any more until Adam gets back & we can work on it together. I should start working on my paper for that (due Wednesday), but again...I want to wait for Adam to get back so we can work on it together. I also desperately need to do laundry. But what am I going to do? Well, I think I might go lock myself in a study carrel in the library and start reading through the chapters of my Money, Banking, & Credit book (test on Thursday). YUCK. But if I spread it out over the next few days, it won't be bad. And those chapters aren't long or hard to read.