Saturday, November 04, 2006

Dum-Dum (and apartment stuff)

So the other day, I did just about the dumbest thing I could ever do. My dad called me up, asking if I could work at the store over Thanksgiving break. Okay so here's the thing: I can't say no. Especially when it comes to work. If my boss asks me to do something, I do it. And I try to be as flexible as possible. So I said yes. He asked about my availability, and instead of telling him when I'd like to work, I told him when I could work. I told him I could be there at 6 a.m. Tuesday through Friday. Yes, I actually told my dad that I could and would work at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving day. Am I nuts? I must be.

This weekend, I'm supposed to be writing a paper for Art History. I figure I'll read through my materials today, jot down some ideas, and then tomorrow I'll write the paper. I don't think it'll be too hard...although this is the first paper I've written in about a year. But it only has to be 5 pages. I should be fine, right? I hope so.

Over the past couple days, I've been looking at stuff for me & Michael's apartment. Stuff for the kitchen, stuff for the living room. I think the bedroom is pretty much set, except for bedding. My dad's letting me have the queen-size bed that they bought for me when I was 13 or 14. And I'm sure my mom won't mind if I take my dresser & mirror, although I hate that thing because the drawers are really shallow & don't hold much.

Things we already have:

  • a queen-size bed & pillows
  • a dresser & mirror
  • 2 big TVs and a 13" TV
  • 2 computers
  • a coffee table (and maybe a console table that matches it, if my mom decides to get an entertainment center for the TV at home)
  • a few bookcases
  • a few rugs (the apartment we're looking at has cement floors...it used to be an old factory/warehouse!!)
  • kitchen stuff (a 20-piece dish set that has dinner plates, salad plates, bowls, mugs, and ramekins for 4, plus a set of 4 rice bowls, several mugs, a 12-piece flatware set, a ton of barware, a wine rack, appetizer plates, an olive boat, an olive oil pourer, napkin rings, salt & pepper shakers, a good santoku knife, a tea set, a cutting board, storage containers, an electric mixer, a George Foreman grill, a set of popcorn bowls, a can-opener, a cookbook stand, several cookbooks, an iced tea maker, and probably some other stuff that I can't remember right now)
  • coasters!
  • a vacuum cleaner
  • a microwave
  • an iron & small ironing board (although I'd like to get a full-sized ironing board once we're in an apartment)
  • a 3-compartment laundry sorter thing (Basically a huge glorified hamper...on wheels! You can sort of see it in the background of the vacuum cleaner picture.)
  • towels (9 bath towels, 3 hand towels, and 3 washcloths in aqua, brown, and aqua/brown stripe)
  • a stereo
  • some art for the walls
  • a phone/answering machine
  • probably several other things

Plus I know that my mom's getting me "kitchen stuff" for Christmas. I asked for a blender, but I also really need decent pots & pans (which are ridiculously expensive). I'm planning to buy some air-bake cookie sheets, and I think my mom is giving me an extra 8x8" baking pan that she has lying around. Non-essentials that are on my kitchen wishlist: a big wooden salad bowl, a nice wood cutting board, and an over-the-sink colander.

Okay, it's after 12, and I still haven't taken a shower (or done any work!)...so I guess that's enough apartment musings for now.