Monday, November 13, 2006

Seasons Eatings

I'm really pumped about the big Thanksgiving dinner we're having Tuesday night. I plan to start cooking when I get out of class at 2:30. I hadn't realized how much food we're going to have until I wrote out a list of everything at work tonight...it's going to be a real feast! We're having:
  • Turkey with gravy (It's a frozen turkey loaf thing, not a real actual turkey...but it takes 2 hours to bake in the oven! The pie also takes about 2 hrs to set up in the refrigerator, which is why I'm starting the whole cooking process at 2:30. Plus I want to make sure we have the kitchen for the night, so a repeat of last Thursday doesn't happen...arg.)
  • Mashed potatoes & gravy (The gravy's from a packet, but the potatoes will be 100% made from scratch, bitches.)
  • Stuffing (Ariane's making this...I probably won't eat any because I don't really like stuffing, but it wouldn't really be Thanksgiving without stuffing, would it?)
  • Green bean casserole (Another thing Ariane's making, and this actually is something I like. A lot!!)
  • Cornbread (The third thing Ariane is making. Yummmmmmm!! If she weren't making this, I'd make a corn casserole.)
  • Cranberry sauce (From a can, people. I don't work magic. But I am planning to cut it into cute little leaf shapes with some cookie cutters Ariane bought earlier this semester.)
  • PUMPKIN DREAM PIE!!! (Okay, so I hope this turns out alright. I've never made it before. It's tradition in my family, though, so I guess I'd better get to learning how to make it.)
Yeah, we're gonna be effing stuffed. Hello 10 lbs. After the break (possibly the night of December 8th), I really want to have a Christmas party. I've spent so much on groceries this semester, and I'm planning a really nice present for my mom, so I don't really have money to spend on presents for my friends. So I thought we could throw a little party, listen to music, play games, whatever...and that could be our celebration, instead of giving each other presents. Anyway, I figured instead of having a big meal, we could just have big bowls of snacks. I came up with a few ideas at work tonight:
  • White chocolate covered pretzels (I love making these)
  • Chex mix (homemade, of course!)
  • Spiced edamame (there's a recipe in the cookbook I bought the other day)
  • Brown butter, rosemary, & lemon popcorn
  • Hot chocolate
  • Cinnamon coffee (I bought a bag a couple weeks ago, but I still haven't made any of it yet)
I'm trying to come up with some other ideas...maybe chips & dip or something. Perhaps some puppy chow/muddy buddies (Chex coated in chocolate, peanut butter, & powdered sugar). We'll see. :)