Sunday, August 06, 2006

In Love and Coziness

Today my mom baked a blueberry pie, completely from scratch, crust & all. We have this tradition whenever she makes her own pie crust. Before she puts the pie in the oven, she sprinkles cinnamon sugar on the crust scraps and bakes them. It makes the whole house smell like cinnamon. A very cozy smell.


I think cozy is my favorite feeling. It's why brown is my favorite color. It's why a candle that's been blown out is my favorite smell. My favorite memories are of coming home from school on autumn afternoons, walking into a house that smelled like candles and freshly-baked cookies.

So Goal #2 is to teach myself how to bake this year. I'll buy some good cookie sheets and canisters for storing staples, like flour and sugar. I mean, I can cook alright, but I've never been that great at baking. I think it's just something that takes a lot of practice, and I'd like to be able to create those cozy feelings of warmth and love for myself & my own family someday.