Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A Tiny Rant

So what's the most embarrassing thing in the world? Having your debit card declined at freakin' Taco Bell. And it's downright scary when you know for a fact that you should have over $100 in your account. And it's upsetting when the cashier has zero tact and pretty much announces to the entire universe that your card has, in fact, been declined. Twice.

As soon as I got back here, I called my bank to find out what's going on with my account. Everything's fine, apparently, but the lady I talked to on the phone said that the cashier at Taco Bell probably tried to process it as a debit card. Which is understandable because the card does say "DEBIT" on it, even though it's not really a debit card. It's a check card, and it only works if it's run as a credit card.

I'm a little confused, because if this had happened at Dillons, we wouldn't have gotten a message that said "Declined." We would've gotten a message that said, "Invalid Card Type." I suppose the pin-pads at Taco Bell probably aren't as sophisticated as the ones at Dillons, but still...

The only reason I'm not complaining about the lady at Taco Bell is because I think she was new, and I know what it's like to be new at a job. I know what it's like to be new when there's a rush and you're still learning and you don't know exactly what to do. Still, she should've been more discrete about the situation.